...and then you have to come home from vacation. We had a great time on our beach trip, and Lea was in 7th heaven, getting tons of attention from Nana, Grandpa, and Grandie. My favorite part of the vacation was the kayak eco-tour we took at sunset--I think I have kayaking in my blood or have done it in a past life or something. It felt really natural. (In a way canoeing never has...I think because I could control, more or less, where I wanted to go. Whenever I'm in a canoe with someone, I sit in the front because I don't want to steer. On the other hand, I also want to control where we're going. Which means that I end up frustrated and the person sitting behind me ends up highly irritated.)
Each time we go to the Outer Banks, we seem to stay closer and closer to our home base (i.e., the beach house). I don't think that's a bad thing, though. Both Tad and I agreed that the vacation was very relaxing. We also discovered the sound side of the Outer Banks this time. It wasn't much of a "discovery" per se, since you could see both the ocean and the sound from our house--it's not like it was any surprise that it was out there. But in all the times we've been to the Outer Banks, we've never been to the sound. I loved it--the water was like bathwater, warm and calm. It was also shallow--you could walk out forever and still be in water that was only thigh-deep. Tad and I tried to find the point where it started to get deeper, but gave up after 15 minutes or so of walking straight out in the water. We kept expecting there to be some sort of sharp ledge that caused us to drop suddenly under water. We also realized that we'd be horrible explorers. We lack the intrepid spirit--after walking for 15 minutes, we just turned back. If we had been sailing with Columbus, Tad and I would have been the ones saying, "Eh, you know what? We've been sailing for about an hour now, and all we see is water. I think we should turn around and go have a snack."
At any rate, it was a great week at the beach. We arrived home to find our lawn and gardens overrun with weeds (how does that happen in only one week??) I pulled some last night, but only made a small dent.
Lea is adjusting well to being back--she was glad to see all of her friends again, although she keeps asking to see Nana and Grandpa and wants to know where they are. My mom got her some fake tattoos, and Lea still had them on her arms Monday morning. She was very proud to show them off to all her friends ("Caelin, look at my TATToos!") All of her friends were very interested as well, and kept asking to see them. She definitely enjoyed her moment in the limelight.
When her teachers asked Lea who was with her at the beach, she said "Mommy, Daddy, Jackson, Colby, and Miss Keisha." She's clearly inherited my memory. Either that, or this represents her wish list--and we're going to need a bigger house next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment