I had an exam yesterday in Environmental Health. Since our class grade is based largely on 3 exams, it was important (not that exams aren't always important). So I took Lea in to day care, getting there around 9:30. Talked to Wendy (Zach's mom) for a bit, then went to kiss Lea before I left. And then I noticed her left eye. Pink. A bit goopy. Why hadn't I noticed this at home?
I asked Ms. Kisha to look at it, and she said she couldn't be sure if it was just irritated from rubbing or if it was something more. She wasn't sure, but I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I showed Lea's eye to the Center Director, and she agreed with me. Pink eye.
So before Lea even got settled in, we were out the door again...the whole time I'm thinking, "What the hell am I going to do?" Tad was in court and unreachable. I had an exam and a child who couldn't be in daycare. I also had no Plan B.
So, I took Lea in to the office and called my professor, who is now my new best friend. He said that he had 2 kids of his own, and although they're grown now, he remembers what it was like. He said I could come in later in the day, or even the next day and take the test at my convenience.
It's one of the things I love about the School of Public Health. People understand the importance of family and family responsibilities. Nobody makes you feel guilty for having other priorities, and everyone does their best to be understanding.
Back to Lea - she finally got her wish to go see the doctor (she's been asking for the past 2 weeks to go to the doctor, even going so far as to make up things that hurt). The conversation usually goes something like this:
Lea: "I don't feel very well."
Me: "What hurts?"
Lea: "My feelings hurt."
Me: "What part of your feelings?"
Lea: "This ear and this ear."
Me: "How 'bout I give them a kiss?"
Lea: "How 'bout I go to the doctor?"
Lea had a good time at the doctor's office - she really loves the pediatrician we see. She talked his ear off, to the point where I had to shush her to make sure he could listen to her lungs. She asked him about his stethoscope, talked about Halloween, and asked what he was doing at every step of the way. He diagnosed pink eye, confirmed that her ears were fine (I knew it), and talked to Lea about using the potty. I love that he talked directly to her and didn't talk to her like a baby. I like that he picked up on the fact that she can understand pretty much everything and can listen and take in what people say to her.
The final note I'll add on this subject is that whoever thought that trying to give a 2 1/2 year old antibiotic eye drops was a good idea is clearly certifiable. I'm thinking of asking the animal handlers at the aquarium how they give medicine to an octopus. Because when Tad and I try to put in the eyedrops, I swear that Lea spontaneously develops eight limbs - and they're all actively trying to push me away. And we have 5 days of this. Joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment