Yesterday was a tax-free holiday here in NC. All school supplies (paper, notebooks, pens, staplers, highlighters, backpacks, etc., etc., etc.) were tax-free. Usually I choose to stay firmly sequestered in my house during the tax-free weekend. But yesterday I ventured out to our friendly neighborhood Target to brave the masses. I waited until 4:00 on Sunday thinking that everyone else would be shopped out by then. I didn't picture having the aisles of Target all to myself, but I also didn't think I'd be facing hordes of people looking for the ultimate deal.
As it turns out, it was somewhere in between. Target employees were standing by the shelves with huge carts of supplies, replenishing the notebooks, binders, and pens as quickly as shoppers could grab them off of the shelves. I managed to score some good deals (10 notebooks for $1), and generally came out okay. But the biggest blow came as I faced the dizzying array of choices. Did I want my notebooks to have princesses? Transformers? Sponge Bob Squarepants? Or should I go for the options targeted to the older student--glitter notebooks, pencil cases with funky colors and feathers on them, neon-colored binders? I did manage to find some plain white 3 ring binders and some primary-colored notebooks. I came up empty on the pencil case (I just couldn't face glitter or feathers). All in all, I felt like the world's oldest living student. Most of the other women my age who were perusing the school supplies section were with their kids. Ah, well. That's what I get for going to Target instead of the college bookstore. The supplies may be cheaper, but my dignity suffers a bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment