I'm not exactly sure what happened to all the hours today. They seem to have slipped away, and I'm not even sure what I did with them. I'm sure I must have accomplished something, right?
I'm looking forward to this weekend, even though I have a paper due on Monday. i'm nearly done, which means I shouldn't need to devote too much more time to it (famous last words). I'd like to do something fun - get away for a bit, do something outside of our normal routine. Lea has a flu shot on Saturday, but I somehow don't think that qualifies. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the opposite of what we all need. At the very least, perhaps it will cure her of her omni-present desire to visit the doctor.
I forgot to mention earlier that Lea went to a "Princess Party" this weekend, which was really just a birthday party for Mylie, one of her friends from school. Mylie turned 3, and celebrated with a pink, girly-themed party. Mylie was adorable in her sparkly tiara, ballet tutu, tights, and sparkly shoes. I had asked Lea if she wanted to wear a dress to the party, but she ended up in her usual...jeans. We have a ton of hand-me-down dresses, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the times she's worn them. She wore some of her summer dresses, but didn't like anything that was frilly or too frou-frou. At any rate, Lea attended the Princess Party in her jeans and sneakers, which was just fine with me. At the party, they had a little "beauty station" set up where the girls could get nailpolish, makeup, get their hair done, and sparkly stickers put on their faces. Everyone was very into it....except Lea. She really, really wanted to go outside, but I managed to convince her to stay inside where the party was. The fact that they were going to be eating cupcakes soon helped. Then Mylie started opening presents. One of her presents was a gift card to a clothing store. Mylie's mom said, "Look, Mylie! Now you can go shopping!" Then she said, "Mylie loves clothes, don't you?" (Vigorous head nod from Mylie.) "Mylie and I love to shop, huh?" (Another vigorous head nod). In the ensuing moment of silence, Lea pipes up loud and clear, "Mommy, I don't like to shop!" I whispered, "I know, baby...I don't like to shop either."
After another 15 minutes or so, Lea was really antsy to go outside, since Mylie has a huge, open yard. One of the moms had her 1 year old son with her, and took him outside because he was getting fussy. Well, as soon as Lea saw that, it was all over. We went outside, and that's where we spent most of the rest of the party. Lea had a blast digging in dirt, kicking a ball round, and playing with a riding car. I guess that we can all be princesses in our own way...right? The funny thing is, Mylie is one of the few girls that Lea really gets along well with. It's not that she doesn't get along with the other girls, it's just that, most of the time, she prefers playing with the boys. But although Lea would prefer to be outdoors, she's also not as rambunctious as some of the kids. She enjoys Mylie's quiet, sweet, demeanor, and the two of them are very silly with each other. So, even though Lea may not be into the frilly, pink princess scene, she still had a good time at the party.
No comments:
Post a Comment