Well, Lea had a fantastic first Halloween (at least her first Halloween where she actually went trick-or-treating). We went around to the houses on our street, and she had a great time saying, "Trick-or treat!" to everyone. She was fine at the first house, which was Arlene and Bob's house, our neighbors across the street. Then we went next door to Mr. Doug's house, which also was fine. Then we went to the next house, and Lea asked me "Who lives here?" I had no idea...and Lea wasn't too sure about ringing the doorbell when we didn't even know the people who lived there. She has a point, you know?
At any rate, after the first couple of "unknown" houses, Lea was really into it. There were a few houses where I thought she might actually go inside (when people where particularly friendly or left the door open while they reached for a bowl of candy, Lea seemed to take it as an invitation to go inside).
All in all, it was a really fun evening. I'm going to have to look up the origin of trick-or-treating, though. When did it evolve into something where you dressed up in costume and knocked on people's doors to get candy? Anybody taking an objective look at this tradition from the outside would think we were a bit loopy.
Last night, which was the night after Halloween, Lea and I were playing on the front steps. When it started to get dark, she looked at me and said, "I want to go trick-or-treating!" Hard to explain that she now has to wait an entire year. But really, wouldn't it be a great idea to have Halloween leftovers trick-or-treating? Everyone always ends up with leftover candy that they don't want, which means that huge bags of candy are being brought into workplaces around the country. Wouldn't it be better to just let the kids go around again? If you have Halloween leftovers, turn on your porch light. If not, you don't have to participate. I personally think it's a brilliant idea--but as usual, nobody's asked me.
No comments:
Post a Comment