As much as I love Christmas (and I do), I also have this incredible urge to take down the decorations after Christmas is over. Leaving the Christmas decorations up always seems to me like staying too long after the party is over - it's a bit depressing, and you wish you had left when the party was in full swing and everyone was still having fun.
So, even though we had planned to take our Christmas decorations down this weekend, I ended up dismantling everything last night (amidst Tad's protests of, "I thought we were going to do this on Saturday!"...which were largely because he was trying to watch the Kansas - V Tech game while I was tearing down lights).
It didn't take that long, and actually felt immensely satisfying. I like the process of wrapping the ornaments, carefully putting them away in their boxes, and then fitting all of the boxes together into our large Tupperware storage containers in a sort of real-life Tetris game. The house looks a little empty now, but it also feels clean and fresh - perfect for starting the new year. Our tree is still hanging out in the back yard until they come to collect it on Tuesday, but at least it's not hanging out in the middle of the hallway.
I also think it was better to do it last night because taking down the decorations in front of Lea would have led to a thousand questions....and I'm willing to bet that she would have been upset by the process. This morning, she didn't even notice that things were gone until after about 15 minutes of being downstairs. Then she looked at the mantle like a lightbulb had just gone off and said, "Hey!! Where are the....where did the...where did the Christmas tree go?" I explained that we took it down because Christmas was over, and she started to get upset because she thought it was still Christmas. Fortunately, I took the cue from her beloved Frosty video and explained that, just like Frosty, the Christmas decorations would be "back for Christmas Day" next year.
Now if only the Frosty video would disappear until next Christmas....
No comments:
Post a Comment