Monday, October 3, 2011

Girls Just Wanna Have... June 2009

Back in the 80s, I was a Madonna-wannabe. My first CD ever was a Madonna CD. I knew all the words to her songs and played them constantly (when "Live to Tell" came out, I think I even filled up an entire side of a cassette tape with the song). I did a dance routine to "Lucky Star" at summer camp, complete with teased hair, rubber bracelets, big earrings and an off-the-shoulder shirt (and might I say, I was looking FINE). Madonna had (and truth be told, still has) a special place in my heart.

But another special place was reserved for Cyndi Lauper. Cyndi was always a bit more out there and less calculating than Madonna. She was crazy, kooky, unabashedly herself, and more importantly, a girls' girl. I mean, what better anthem is there than "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?" To this day, it remains one of my favorite songs (full disclosure, I did a dance routine to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" as well - this one was in Girl Scouts, and I really don't remember much about it - probably because my costume wasn't as cool).

At any rate, recently I've begun downloading some "adult" songs that I think Lea will like, and a lot of them are 80s tunes: Safety Dance, 99 Luftballons, Don't Worry-Be Happy, You Spin Me Right Round, 867-5309/Jenny, etc. And, of course, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

So today, we're listening to Lea's playlist in the car on our way to Moe's ("Welcome to Moe's!) and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" comes on. We're singing along, and we get to Moe's before the song is over. As we exit the car, I'm still singing (no doubt this is the kind of behavior that will cause endless embarrassment to Lea later on). And here's what happens:

Me:  "Hey now, Hey now, What's the matter with ya, girls just wanna have fun now, c'mon."
Me: "Hey Lea, what do girls want to have?"
Lea, without missing a beat: "Popsicles!!!"

Clearly, Cyndi and I haven't gotten through to her yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment