My baby is 3. Let me say that again...THREE. How did this happen? It seems like just yesterday that we were driving to the hospital (I'd say "speeding to the hospital," but my law-conscious husband drove the speed limit the entire freakin' way) to have her, and now she's three.
Today kicked off with Lea getting a little balloon on a stick that I picked up last night and that she took to school with her. Then she got to open 1 present before school, and spent the next 30 minutes playing with the 2 puzzles we got her. Before she opened her present, the two of us were downstairs together, and I showed her the birthday cake I made last night. It's a chocolate cake (her request) with pink icing (also her request). Except that when I was frosting the cake, I ran out of pink icing. So I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from the gym tonight only to find that they didn't have any more pink icing. So I went with "rainbow chip," which means that the cake is pink on top with multicolored sides. I figured I might just as well go all the way, and put sprinkles all over the top, hot pink icing piped around the top and bottom, and neon candles on. Given that Lea always thinks that more colors = way better, she seemed pretty happy with it. She wanted a taste of the cake this morning, so I told her that we could swipe our fingers in the frosting, but that it was our secret and we couldn't tell daddy. When she wanted a second swipe, I said ok, but we couldn't tell daddy. Three minutes later, Tad walks downstairs, and what are the first words out of Lea's mouth? "Dad!!! We licked the cake!" Oh well.
In addition to cake tonight, we brought cupcakes for a party at school today. Due to day care regulations, the cupcakes have to be store-bought. So last night Lea says to me, "I want green cupcakes." I'm thinking, "green's not a very popular color, so where am I going to find green cupcakes, for cryin' out loud." My plan was to take her to the grocery store and attempt to talk up some other color. However, when we got to the store, we found tons and tons of bright emerald green cupcakes...in preparation for St. Patrick's Day. It's like someone was looking out for me. ;-) I think all of the parents at day care are going to hate me, because the frosting looks like the kind that will stain your kids' clothes permanently, and make their tongues green for a good day (not to mention what it will do to, um, other things that might come out of your body). But it's what Lea wanted...
Tonight brings cake, presents, and a dinner of Lea's choice. Fortunately, she's a child of simple tastes, so we'll be having spaghetti.
I'm headed over to her school shortly for the cupcakes, so I'll get to witness the green mess in all its glory. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Today kicked off with Lea getting a little balloon on a stick that I picked up last night and that she took to school with her. Then she got to open 1 present before school, and spent the next 30 minutes playing with the 2 puzzles we got her. Before she opened her present, the two of us were downstairs together, and I showed her the birthday cake I made last night. It's a chocolate cake (her request) with pink icing (also her request). Except that when I was frosting the cake, I ran out of pink icing. So I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from the gym tonight only to find that they didn't have any more pink icing. So I went with "rainbow chip," which means that the cake is pink on top with multicolored sides. I figured I might just as well go all the way, and put sprinkles all over the top, hot pink icing piped around the top and bottom, and neon candles on. Given that Lea always thinks that more colors = way better, she seemed pretty happy with it. She wanted a taste of the cake this morning, so I told her that we could swipe our fingers in the frosting, but that it was our secret and we couldn't tell daddy. When she wanted a second swipe, I said ok, but we couldn't tell daddy. Three minutes later, Tad walks downstairs, and what are the first words out of Lea's mouth? "Dad!!! We licked the cake!" Oh well.
In addition to cake tonight, we brought cupcakes for a party at school today. Due to day care regulations, the cupcakes have to be store-bought. So last night Lea says to me, "I want green cupcakes." I'm thinking, "green's not a very popular color, so where am I going to find green cupcakes, for cryin' out loud." My plan was to take her to the grocery store and attempt to talk up some other color. However, when we got to the store, we found tons and tons of bright emerald green cupcakes...in preparation for St. Patrick's Day. It's like someone was looking out for me. ;-) I think all of the parents at day care are going to hate me, because the frosting looks like the kind that will stain your kids' clothes permanently, and make their tongues green for a good day (not to mention what it will do to, um, other things that might come out of your body). But it's what Lea wanted...
Tonight brings cake, presents, and a dinner of Lea's choice. Fortunately, she's a child of simple tastes, so we'll be having spaghetti.
I'm headed over to her school shortly for the cupcakes, so I'll get to witness the green mess in all its glory. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment