They're building a church by our house that Lea and I pass by on the way home from school. Lea has been carefully monitoring the progress of the church from clearing trees to framing the building, to putting up walls. I've promised her that when the church is finished, we can go inside and visit to see what it looks like.
With that background, I'll recount the conversation we had yesterday in the car.
Lea: Is the church ready yet? (Note that she asks this EVERY single time we drive by.)
Me: Does it look ready yet? (Standard response)
Lea: Nooooooooooooo
Lea: Can we go in the church when the men say it's ready?
Me: Sure, we can go in and visit if they'll let us.
Lea: Why do we only go in to visit?
Me: What?
Lea: Why do we only go in to visit and not to stay?
Me: Because we don't go to that church (note that I avoided the issue of us not going to church at all)
Lea: Oh.
Lea: Why don't we go to that church?
Me: Because the church is for people who are Greek Orthodox and we're not Greek Orthodox (again, avoiding the issue that we're not really anything)
Lea: Oh.
Lea: But I want to be Greet Orfodoss
Me: Well, when you grow up, you can decide to be whatever you would like to be (note that I have no idea whether one can "become" Greek Orthodox or what the process is like, but I'm pretty sure it involves something more than just liking the church building)
Lea: Oh.
(Several minutes pass).
Lea: Mommy?
Me: Yes?
Lea: When I grow up, I want to be a Green Ortho-duck.
So God only knows what my daughter think that the people who go to the church are like. In her mind, they very well could be large green duck-like creatures. And still, she wants to be one. Ah well, more power to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment