Have you ever had to meet up with someone you've talked to on the phone or corresponded with via email, but have no idea what they look like? It presents an interesting quandry, doesn't it? How do you describe yourself? I mean, you need to give them enough to recognize you(i.e., just saying, "I'm a woman" probably isn't going to cut it). At the same time, you don't necessarily want to go into too much detail. ("I'm a 30-something woman about 5'6'', my driver's license says that I weigh 135, but you should probably add 5 pounds to that, I tend to carry weight in my hips, I have small hands and feet, and I've never had any cavities.") You also don't want to seem conceited or like you're presenting yourself as a personal ad. ("I have long, curly, brown hair, people have told me my eyes are pretty, and I like to take long walks on the beach.")
Me, I usually settle for just saying that I have long, curly, brown hair, and if I know what I'll be wearing, I'll mention that as well. It seems to work most of the time.
But how much more fun would it be if you could describe yourself in ways other than physical appearance? What would you say about yourself? I think I'd go with:
- Although I'm a vegetarian, I really like the smell of barbeque.
- I hate sleeping with socks on, even when my feet are really cold.
- I harbor a secret desire to: sing with a rock band, have the lead role in a play, join a dance group, teach an aerobics class, and go through a marine boot-camp type workout.
- I never ever want to: jump out of an airplane, bungie jump, run a marathon.
- I have a strange habit of looking at my watch every time I pee.
- I feel naked without earrings.
- I love vacuuming.
- I'd secretly love to be on one of those shows where they give you a new wardrobe and makeover.
- I can't sleep unless my hair is in a ponytail or a bun.
- I have a strange ability to remember phone numbers, even ones that are now irrelevant.
I know, I know, it paints a rather strange picture of me, but it's much more interesting than "I have long, curly, brown hair"....no?
No comments:
Post a Comment